The French love casseroles. It’s one of the most popular family dinner dishes. I will always remember my time around the table with my family. In France dinner is the most important moment of the day. I will share with you all my family recipes.
READY IN: 40 mins
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (or pressed)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon herbes de provence (or other herbs to your taste)
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 4 -5 cups mashed potatoes (instant is fine)
- 3⁄4 cup gruyere cheese, grated (can also use emmental or Suisse cheese)
- In a large frying pan, cook the onions & garlic in the butter & olive oil on medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, ground beef, herbs, salt & pepper. Cook until the meat is browned thoroughly.
- Turn off heat & add egg yolk & Parmesan cheese, stirring to mix completely.
- Spread the meat in the bottom of a lightly oiled oven proof dish (a 9×13 would be perfect).
- Spread the potatoes on top of the meat mixture.
- Finish by sprinkling the grated cheese on top.
- Bake in 400 deg oven for 15 to 20 minutes, until the cheese is melted & the potatoes lightly browned.