- Preheat oven to 325ºF.
- In a large ovenproof baking dish, mix all the ingredients.
- Tightly cover the dish with foil or a well-fitting lid, and cook in the center of the oven it for 3 hours, until the meat is falling apart. It is important to keep checking the dish to make sure the meat is not drying out as it cooks and add more water if needed.
- Once cooked, remove the dish from the heat, leave the foil or lid in place and allow the meat to cool in the dish for 30 to 45 minutes until it is warm.
- Remove the lid and discard the bay leaf and any little pieces of meat which may have dried too far.
- Shred and stir the meat and fat with a large fork until it resembles a chunky, creamy spread, if correctly cooked this will be very easy to do.
- Place the rillettes in a serving pot, level with the back of a spoon and pour any remaining fat in the cooking dish over the surface which helps to keep the rillettes moist.
- Chill them for at least 24 hours before serving. The pâté will keep for several days untouched, once you have started eating use within 72 hours.