This creamy pumpkin soup is even better if it’s made a day ahead of time. Just refrigerate it overnight, reheat it on the stovetop and then add garnish immediately before serving.
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Yields: 6 servings
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- One 15-ounce can pure pumpkin puree
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Kosher salt
- Crème fraîche, for garnish (optional)
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Once the butter is just beginning to brown, add the onion and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, sugar, cinnamon, pepper, nutmeg, and cayenne pepper and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin puree and broth, stir to incorporate, season with salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the cream and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the soup to a blender and puree until smooth.
- If needed, add additional water or broth to reach desired consistency. Return the mixture to the pot or large a sauce pan.
- Serve warm.