This is one of our family favorites! In France you typically don’t find this dish at a restaurant, it’s usually cooked at home. It’s a super easy meal! Our family often eats it with a side of rice. When served, the tomatoes are very juicy and the rice soaks up a lot of that awesome flavor on your plate—yum!
Tomates Farcies Recipe
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Serves: 4
- 4 ripe beefsteak tomatoes
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 yellow onion
- 1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup Gruyere
- sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Cut the tops off of each tomato and set them aside for later.
- Using a spoon, remove the seeds and scoop out the innards. Be careful not to pierce through the tomato flesh.
- Sprinkle tomatoes with sea salt and turn them upside down so that the excess water drains out.
- Mix together all the other ingredients, except the olive oil by hand until combined.
- Place the stuffing in each tomato, sprinkle with Gruyére, cover with the cut tomato slice and drizzle a little extra olive oil on top. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake uncovered for 40 minutes, then allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving.